I am constantly getting complements on it wherever I go. I wanted a kayak to grow into as I become more experienced and tackle more challenging paddles. That might be my problem and not the boat's! Just 6 inches shorter. Awesome maiden voyage with my brand new 2018 Wilderness System Tsunami 145 Red. Wilderness Systems Tsunami 140 or Dagger Stratos 14.5. I got this boat used for $400. I'm not sure why Wilderness Systems/Confluence Watersports don't provide this information. Submitted by: Also was the type paddling we would be doing is mainly creeks, rivers, lakes and very limited open water. 5mph isn't bad for a recreational kayak. I was relieved to find that I could stay out of trouble fairly easily, even without a rudder. You can lay the seat back or pull it forward, adjust the backrest height, and pull the sides up for side support all while sitting in the yak. Boat is not fast for going A to B as quick as possible, but adequate for easy crusing and relaxing paddles. We bought these boats after taking lessons and trying several different boat types and sizes as well as doing extensive online research. Even with the rudder stowed tracking is pretty good. In the end; we ended up going with the Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 w/ rudder for me and a 14' for her.

The kayak cuts through the waves and seems very stable, it likes to be on edge. Overall, you can't go wrong with the Tsunami and that's probably why you rarely if ever see them for sale used! My first time out on an 11 mile flat water course , I matched my previous best time in the Loon. I still like the boat and I knew the hatch would probably leak when I bought it. 2) The move fairly easily -- speedy enough for us, even if it takes a little effort to keep up with skinnier, composite hulled craft. Are we ALL nuts? They have great initial and secondary stability. I have been paddling the 145 for 2 years and have used on calm lakes, slow rivers, and New England sea coast. The adjustable seat is really nice too. You can adjust the foot pedals easily too. I felt like I couldn't enjoy the workout since I always had to fight to stay upright.

I have owned a 145 for about 18 months. We also have a 100 acre lake behind our house and it is perfectly at home on the lake as well. I am working on sealing them but you know it's not enough of a leak to really bother with more like condensation at the end of the day. The front hatches have NEVER leaked; and the rear has allowed a little bit of water in only a couple of times when I didn't realize I hadn't replaced the cover completely from the previous trip. Although it is relatively wide when compared to nice sea kayaks, it is still very fast and it’s dual bulkheads ensure it’s buoyancy. I bought a demo Tsunami 145 (Model year 2005) with rudder a few months ago. Overall, he's a wonderful boat that has taken me to some of the nicest places around Colorado.
Disappointing. When selecting a sit-inside kayak, we researched and discussed all aspects with owners, this site and dealers. I'm just under 6 feet tall and 200 lbs. Overall, I love the size of this boat, how it handles, storage capacity, and the new adventures it provides me. I agree that the day hatch should be separated from the rear hatch but I usually put anything I need while I'm in the boat in a dry bag behind the seat. The only reason I gave it a 9 out of 10 is because I really wish I had bumped up to the 165 so that I could have gotten the separation bulkhead from day hatch to stern hatch. Just remember that every kayak comes with basic features and needs to be outfitted for your personal comfort and style. I was able to keep up with wife in a Necky and my buddy in an Ocean SOT with little effort. On the issue with the rudder, if you can afford one buy it. Submitted by: So much better that I stopped going to my Chiropractor and Shizau therapy sessions which had much less effect than paddling did. I found that it responds quicker to turning strokes better, I think, due to the upswept bow and hull as well as the fact that it is 3.5 inches narrower. Consider the cockpit sizes, what thigh braces or padding that is used and if it can be adjusted and look at the weight capacity. I'm am not the slimmest of guys, but the boat can take my weight (225 lb) and all my gear, no problem. After loving the Pungo, i wanted to start exploring bigger bodies of water and the sea so 2 years ago, I upgraded to a Wilderness System Tsunami 145. t wants to run. I started out with a 10' L.L.Bean Manatee back in 2008. For those interested in these kayaks, I'm 67, 5'11" @200 pounds. I completed the 160 trip in 4.5 days.
My only complaint is that Wilderness didn't put screws of sufficient length with the rudder kit to penetrate the hull, hold the washer and meet the nylon lock in the nut. Happy paddling! As everyone knows the Phase 3 seating is fantastic. I would recommend it as a great beginners boat or as a backup for experienced paddlers. Pros: extremely comfortable, stable in rough water, and great for easy touring and camping. Submitted by: It's been all over the San Juan Islands, 25 miles covered in one day. 1)Yeah, the standard high-quality poly hull is a tad weighty. I highly recommend this boat if you're upgrading to a touring kayak. The line used for lowering and raising the rudder has gotten off the pulley leaving the rudder in a fixed position and unable to fix while solo paddling until I can exit the boat. The only thing I don't like is that the cockpit doesn't drain when you turn it over - there is no way to get that last bit of water out, and thus there is no way to wash it out properly to get a good week's worth of seaweed, sand and gunk out after a voyage.