270 Bullets for Fast Deer Kills (CXP2) When it comes to CXP2 class game (deer), it’s important to remember that they’re not invincible. With that load increasing the bullet seating depth to fit your rifle would make little difference in pressure.

Since these all penetrate very well, we can stick to the light side of the 270’s range and go with the 130 grain Barnes TSX or 130 grain Hornady GMX.

41 grains of IMR 4064 with the Speer 150 grain HotCor is a minimum load for the 270 Winchester.

Thank you for your patience.

There’s nothing wrong with that choice, but one alternative would be to move to a newer style bonded bullet.

Since I neck size, brass prep is a lot easier after the first prep. You may want to try Hornady’s Superformance ammo with the 130 grain SST bullets because they are loaded to a higher speed than you can get right now by reloading by using newly developed powders.When CXP2 and CXP3 animals are both on the menu, a 130 grain traditional cup & core isn’t necessarily the best bullet to roll with.

On brass prep, I probably go overboard considering I’m “just” hunting and not target shooting. btsp Load data. JavaScript is disabled.

Why all the prep for the lowly 270? Provide good shot placement and any common hunting bullet will drop a deer just fine. While any of them will work, if you’re reloading them anyways, you might as well go with a ballistic tip style bullet. A 140 grain Nosler Accubond, 150 grain Hornady Interbond, or 130 grain Swift Scirocco won’t break the bank, and will expand slightly more readily than a monometal (copper) bullet will.

I don't have a Speer data book and can't find this bullet on their website. Rifle Reloading Data Home; Reloading; Rifle; RIFLE RELOADING DATA FILES (PDF) 20 caliber (.204 dia) 204 Ruger 39 . Thank you for your patience. I’ve had a lot of loose primer pockets with Federal, so I reload them far fewer times than with other brass manufacturers. Of the common rifle cartridges, 7mm rem mag mirrors and bests many of the 270’s best aspects, but at generally slightly greater cost, lower magazine capacity, requiring a longer barrel, and not as available in inexpensive actions. To reload, I use a LEE neck collet sizer and the dead length bullet seater. Check out my “When Hodgdon releases their superformance powder for 270, I think we’re going to see a big resurgence in interest in the cartridge because with that powder, the regular old 270 gets Aside from the performance question, you could take the 270 for what it is: accurate enough, and carrying enough power to take game up to 400-600, flat shooting, and relatively low recoil.

That is to say, the 270 is a very practical cartridge if you need to make long shots.Adriel has been hunting all his life and tries to apply a practical point of views to his reviews. Soon, I’ll be neck turning as well, just to get very uniform neck thickness. Joined Feb 21, 2013 Messages 162 Location The Dam, WI. Bonded bullets are bullets where the lead core is bonded with the jacket to greatly reduce the possibility of core/jacket separation. Find the Hunting Gear guy on
Provide good shot placement and any common hunting bullet will drop a deer just fine.

.270 Winchester - Manufacturer Loading Data. If you dislike large amounts of carnage in your shot game, or don’t want bits of lead all over the meat, you’ve probably already moved to a monometal bullet.

Some accuracy hounds prefer Berger bullets or Sierra GameKings.

For the rest of my reloading, I’m using an Changed your mind and don’t feel like reloading? IMR 4350--51 min.- 55max. Min Charge Max Charge Optimal Charge Bullet Make Bullet Type I do have the LEE FCD, but am on the fence about crimping at this point. In any case, probably more than is necessary for just hunting rounds.