I have received criticism in the past for my off the wall ideas on this but here I go again. Diagnostic code came up a p2646(rocker arm actuator control). Finally just pulled the oil pan with the upper components taken off, cleaned the oil passages, painted the rusty oil pan with spray on undercoating, put everything back together, been fine ever since, no more P2646 or P2647 codes since, revs well, runs well, Goes like stink from a skunk farm now. I did one more oil change with 5-20 synthetic and a mobile 1 oil filter.. cleared the code and took the car for 2 test rides each of about 20 miles & it ran perfectly. Seems the oil pressure must be right at the cutoff for activating the switch. I have my own ODB reader so I used the second method. I let it cool for 1 hr between the two test rides. High miles equal higher build up no matter how regular your oil changes. Larrh7 yes, the car has been running perfectly, no issues and no codes.

High miles equal higher build up no matter how regular your oil changes. Oil has been changed at regular intervals so I continued my research. The most recent thing that was done, was my father-in-law cleaned the top of the engine with WD40 (that’s what he claimed after discovering dry droplets of water on the engine bay and noticed how clean it was).

P2646 is a common diagnostic trouble code that affects Honda made vehicles, including the CR-V. My 2003 CR-V (199K) has had the same issue for months - shows as P1259 (VTEC malfunction) We dont know the history of the car. The Rocker arm oil pressure switch verifies the correct oil pressure in the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) mechanism, and is often referred to as the VTEC (Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control) switch. CEL comes on and goes into limp mode (won't go over 2800 RPM). No codes and revved from idle to redline at any givin time not missing a beat. Cleaned the original spool valve and put a WVE brand VTEC oil pressure switch and changed oil again to Mobil 1 5W20 with Mobil 1 filter.Well no luck yet with the 04 Element. Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription. My daughter has been driving it daily to school & 2 jobsElement Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod. 2007 crv 2.4l 180k. Decided to clean the oil passages since this last would be the third pressure switch in the past year and a half of trying to find a solution. The pan was dirty, suspected the passages would be as well. I will post an update if the dreaded 2646 is gone This code indicates that there is an issue with rocker arm oil pressure switch. Still does not use oil between changes. This am my daughter drove the car to school and text me that the E ran perfect & no engine light. Noticed that when cold it will run perfect for the first 15-20 minutes no matter how hard or easy you drive it. I will post an update if the dreaded 2646 is goneIt's been exactly 7 days since the repair, still running good and no codes. The labor wasn’t that bad after trying everything else, especially labor for the screen on the side of the engine. ThanksNever had figured out. CEL comes on and goes into limp mode (won't go over 2800 RPM). Put the stock one back on. My opinion. Like the load capacity, that’s why I bought it. Panic strikes whenever you see the engine light flash on the dashboard and this happened to us the other day. I can’t honestly say that it was this that caused the problem or that he is to blame but it did seem very coincidentalNow when the engine light goes on, it means that there is an error code in the ECU and you need to find out what it is to troubleshoot the problem. I’ve had the ODB for a while now and just used it to see what information I could obtain from the ECU but this time I needed to get the code and it was pretty straight forward. Clean the engine passages, it gets dirty even with regular oil changes. Soooo... Lastnight I cleaned the old original spool piece, selenoid and pressure switch with brake cleaner and blew the parts out with an air compressor being sure to especially get into the tiny oil passages. The trouble code will set if the VTEC pressure switch doesn’t open and the voltage stays low. WTF, put a maintenance part behind so many other bolt on components. I ran 4oz of seafoam in the 5-20 oil for 90 miles (the past few days) and as i mentioned I had already replaced the entire vvt spool piece which includes the selenoid and pressure switch within that one part. I started my first business venture I’ve decided to change from a Vegetarian to a Vegan diet and started a website called I started this blog so I could leave a digital footprint of my random thoughts, ideas and life in general.If any of the articles helped you in any way, please donate. P2646 HONDA Description The Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) system activates the Rocker Arm Oil Control Solenoid (VTEC Solenoid Valve) by command from the Engine Control Module (ECM) / Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and it charges/discharges the hydraulic circuit of the VTEC mechanism that switches valve timing between Low and High. Bought it used, had been through an auto auction, no idea the real history, obviously not well maintained before I bought it. We dont know the history of the car. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.Well my 2005 Element (212K miles) became infected with the P2646 VTEC malfunction code last week. check engine & vsa warning lights came on as vehicle began misfiring badly at 2700rpm.