GM stopped installing Big Block V8s in the Silverado HD trucks when the GMT-800 series was discontinued in 2007. For 1970, the Big-Block was expanded again, to 454 cu in (7.4 L), with a It has been suggested that the LS6 was nominally substantially underrated, which was a common practice of American car makers; and that the engine actually produced well over 500 hp (373 kW) as delivered from the factory. In the early 2000's they did make the 8.1 liter gas engine but it didn't sell that well because it used a lot of gas and they had introduced the Duramax diesel line for the light trucks where you could get both good power and fuel economy.

The fuel-injection system for the Vortec 8100 is nearly identical to that used on Gen III engines, right down to the fuel and spark tables in the ECU.GM sold the Vortec 8100 to Workhorse (now a division of Navistar), making it one of the most popular engine choices in gas powered Class A motorhomes during the first decade of this century. Despite the fact that it was 6 cubic inches (98 cc) larger, Chevrolet continued marketing it under the popular "396" label in the smaller cars while at the same time labeling it "Turbo-Jet 400" in the full-size cars. Chevy-Camaro has a complete listing for all 454 c.i.d engines.Verify the casting numbers from either the cylinder head, intake manifold or crankshaft.

This engine was made from the 1960s until 2004.The 366 used 4 rings on the pistons, as it was designed from the very beginning as a truck engine. I really love the look of the 73 with the chrome bumper and nice curves. I want to install a Big Block but am struggling to determine if a 427 CI or a 454 ci is the way to go. No, we say emphatically (but not for any particular reason).However, there is clearly a large contingent of you that believes bigger is better, because the As the old saying goes: “There’s no replacement for displacement.” And GM got it right when it introduced the venerable and popular big block in 1970.To some, the Chevrolet 454 big block was the right engine at the wrong time.The Chevy 454 was originally offered in three variations: the LS5, LS6, and LS7 (which was never offered as a factory option to the general public). which dropped the total engine weight into small-block territory (approx. The original engine only had about 260 hp so I’d like to find out what my options are to upgrade?I bought a ’82 Caballero (GMC El Camino) a couple of years ago (great shape!) Some say that both the LS5 and LS6 454 motors were underrated by about 50 bhp. This engine was rated at 230 net hp, 380 ft lbs net torque, and was discontinued after 1995, GM coming out with the Vortec 7400 in 1996. I did!Very cool… I’m restoring a chevelle 454 clone.aut. The Corvette followed suit by the end of 1974 and also bid farewell to this once powerful engine. Anyhow, the truck runs great, and I am trying to find an interested party who will purchase it. Here are five vehicles you probably wouldn’t expect to have an engine from a Chevy Corvette — but they do, from the factory. Another big blow for the 454 was the gas crisis of 1973 which pretty much sealed the fate for the motor during this period. Would you have a casting number and year you prefer? The easiest two are the intake manifold, located in front of the carburetor mount, or the cylinder head, located on the right-hand side, while looking at it from the side of the vehicle. What cars have a 454 engine? The engine ID number must be cross-referenced with a GM listing. Mark IV engines saw extensive application in Chevrolet and GMC medium duty trucks, as well as in Mark IV engines also found themselves widely used in power boats, a natural application for these robust power plants. For decades, enthusiasts have stuffed Corvette engines into cars you wouldn’t expect to have them. All of these were available as COPO cars.I have a 1969 chevell SS.With a 396c.i.d eng.I was wondering if it be better if I buy or put in the bb 454 c.i.d.engine. The truck 454s are way low on power compared to the Chevelle engines.

The models most likely to have the 454 are early 1970s Camaro and Chevelle SSs, Corvettes, Monte Carlos and Chevrolet/GM trucks. The 502—with a 501.28 cu in (8.2 L) total displacement—had a bore and stroke of 4.466 in × 4 in (113.4 mm × 101.6 mm) and a cast iron 4-bolt main block. The more reading I do the more confused I get. The 366 cu in (6.0 L) Big Block V-8 gasoline engine was used only in Chevrolet medium duty trucks and in school buses. .from Jay.396 to a 454 is like going from a 305 to a 350. GM offered it in their Performance Parts catalog, available as multiple General Motors began offering a newly developed 572 cu in (9.4 L) in 1998Other important differences between the Vortec 8100 and older Big Blocks include a changed firing order (1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3), a new 18-bolt head bolt pattern, longer connecting rods, different symmetrical intake ports, different oil pan rails and the use of metric threads throughout the engine. Unlike the popular The 1970 production models of the 454 put out the most horsepower with the LS5 claiming 360 horsepower and the LS6 putting out a mighty 450 horsepower. Look for any tags in the engine compartment or the trim tag located on the fire wall behind the master cylinder. My email is What month 0f 69 was the 454 put in production? Another big blow for the 454 was the gas crisis of 1973 which pretty much sealed the fate for the motor during this period. Actually 454s came in Chevelles and trucks. Later blocks intended for performance use had the main oil gallery moved up to the cam bearing bore area and provided "priority main" oiling, improving the oil system even further. Chevrolet gave all 427 engines except the ZL1 a torque rating of 460 lb⋅ft (624 N⋅m). engine number 1 is a new 454 LS6 450 hp. In 1970, GM pushed the performance bar higher with the introduction of the Chevy 454 V8. Look for any tags in the engine compartment or the trim tag located on the fire wall behind the master cylinder. The last Chevelles of 1973 used the 454 but by this point the engines had been toned down to a measly 245 horsepower. Look for any tags in the engine compartment or the trim tag located on the fire wall behind the master cylinder.