$5100, out the door, for a bike that looks like it should be just putting around the Farm.. Then i go and see ( and sit on ) a Honda 250L. My scant and only riding experience is on my new CRF150F. (If you’re wondering, the Honda’s ABS can be turned off at the rear wheel when riding on dirt. See a side-by-side comparison of these Motorcycle models to help you decide on your next Motorcycle purchase. The 250L is 30lbs heavier than the xt250. The XT250 is smaller, lighter, less hp, lower seat height, less substantial (not liquid cooled ) dual sport bike. But what it really needed was FI. My size is 5'-9"/180 lbs. don't know what its out-the-door price is.
And is (very reliable ) air and oil cooled. They had all three bikes and I sat on them plus the DR-Z400S. There are two that stand out in my mind: seat height and weight. If i'm recalling correctly, the 250L i did not like when i sat on it. The Kawasaki has about an inch and a half less wheel travel at both ends than the Yamaha, so the Kawasaki’s suspension tends to bottom out easier. The CRF’s seat height is a good half-inch lower than the KLX’s and a full two inches lower than the WR’s. They did say that with the Honda you felt like you were riding "on it', and the Yamaha you felt like you were riding "in it". In comparison, the KLX250S—the Yamaha’s number-one competitor at the time—sold for about a $1000 less.The 2018 Yamaha WR250R returns much like it was 10 years ago but with an inflated price tag of $6699.The Honda CRF250L came on the scene in 2013. Honda CRF250L vs. Kawasaki KLX250 vs. Yamaha WR250R | Dueling Dual Sports. The KLX’s suspension is almost as adjustable as the WR’s.The Honda lags a bit in the suspension department, but that is only a concern for the more experienced rider who will complain that the CRF’s fork and shock are way too soft and bottom easily; it has the least amount of front-wheel travel of the three bikes and just slightly more rear-wheel travel than the Kawasaki. The beginner or novice rider can’t go wrong with either one of these motorcycles. As an adventure tourer, the new CRF250L would do very well, but 50 lbs is a lot of extra weight for a trail bike.

The xt250 is built in Japan. None of them, however, are rocket ships, that’s pretty much a given with these bikes, but the Yamaha moves along pretty good for what it is. The Yamaha is noticeably more powerful than both the Kawasaki and Honda, but most of that power is lurking in the higher rpm range, a fun place for an experienced rider but maybe not so much for the true beginner.

It’s now $5,149.The KLX250’s last major overhaul came in 2009. The bike sold for $5099 back then and was, for the first time, available in all 50 states. All three bikes, especially the Yamaha, would be better off with lower final drive gearing for riding on dirt.Of the three engines, the Honda’s and Kawasaki’s are most comparable. The XT250 is 19hp. Whatever the difference between these two is negligible.Smooth, precise and predictable low rpm throttle response is critical for riders new to motorcycling, and all three bikes have just that—excellent throttle response.The KLX’s fuel injection is a major improvement over the previous carbureted KLX.

It takes lot more to get the Yamaha’s suspension to bottom out compared to the Honda’s or Kawasaki’s. However, new carburetion changed all that in ’09—for a while at least.That year (2009), the KLX took on many other changes, as well. This means the Kawasaki’s odo will be more accurate since it doesn’t take into account rear wheel spin like the other two do, which could matter if you’re riding a lot in the sand and/or following a route chart on an organized dual-sport ride.All three bikes have electric starting, which is pretty much a given these days, and all three bikes have six-speed manual transmissions.The Yamaha is the lightest at 295 pounds, followed by the Kawasaki at 298 and the Honda at 317. Of the three, however, the Yamaha takes it one step farther for also being a fully capable off-road motorcycle for the more experienced rider.
… And if you believe the late great May West: "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful." The xt250 is 19horsepower i believe. It must be able to handle my wife onboard. 2017 Honda CRF 250L vs. 2017 Yamaha XT 250.