Here’s the quick answer: In simple terms, a 700x35c tire is roughly 27 1/2 inches by 1 3/8 inches (or 1.38 inches). My 1995 mountain bicycle is nearly perfect in that respect. LHT only come with 26 for someone with your stature anyway. Someone just gave me 700× 38 tires. Basically I think the advantages/disadvantages now are nil, and most people just ride and recommend based on others rides and recommendations, thus continuing a generalised consensus.

700c wheels are used on road and hybrid bikes.

Loves biking and home brew. This can further exacerbate the handling issues and allow for unwanted flex in the steering column and frame.A fairly uncommon size, 24″ wheels are most often found on junior mountain bikes, and a handful of BMX “cruiser” models made for larger riders looking for the same geometry and maneuverability of their 20″ counterparts. It might be supposed that these two tyres are both notionally 26” diameter and one and a half inches in width, but 26×1½ is a whole inch bigger than 26×1.5.

This is one reason why Surly only offer 700c wheels on their touring bike frames over 56cm.

Probably uses 700 X 32c to 40c tires the 32-40 is the tire width in mm.

I just built a tour bike with disks, and wouldn’t have it any other way. This means that the tires are perfect for a mixture of surfaces. At 6’8, and long in the leg, the prospect of having a touring bike built (as opposed to bodging myself onto something ‘off the peg’) is something I will one day have to splash a significant amount of money on, knowing that even a 700c is really far too small but I have little choice. To mount a 2″ tire, you would want the rim to have an internal width of at least 17mm. The 700C, which is one of the most recurring terms among road bike wheel sizes, today refers to the narrow tires. They last so ridiculously long that carrying on spare set of replacements should keep you set for a very very long time.Probably a bit late to reply but I hope you took it back to the shop for them to look at. Back in NZ in 2013, the shops already had 29ers (but not smooth treads).

There is the tire and then there is the rim.

I was thinking about the Surley LHT.

700C is the dominant wheel size in the modern bike world, and the biggest of the top three. The humble 26er has become a niche product and essentially extinct in bike shops around the world in just a couple of years.

Budapest to Vienna up the Danube going from B&B to B&B — that sort of thing.Hi Tom, Thanks for all the info its been very helpful.

What I’m finding while shopping is it seems wheels meant for road tires are usually larger diameter, and mountain tires are available in 26″ but are all much wider (2″+) and (obviously) in tread patterns intended for off-road.

How do you know what’s best for your style of riding?

The other two are 26-inches, and 650B, which also goes by 27.5-inches.

On the … It won’t really matter for short trips, but for ultra-long-term touring, it might be more of a concern, and might explain why Koga, Santos, Thorn, Surly, Ridgeback et al all make 26-inch wheel expedition bikes.Incidentally, one genuine factor which hardly anyone ever talks about is how tall you are. Not together, but probably in that order.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.In simple terms, a 700x35c tire is roughly 27 1/2 inches by 1 3/8 inches (or 1.38 inches).Unfortunately, things aren’t necessarily quite so simple when it comes to bike tires. I have toured with a 29er Surly Ogre and in Chile with a 26er Surly Troll. The only real issue would be if the new replacement rim was too narrow, it might be difficult to mount the tire and you could risk it rolling off the rim.They only state it as a 26 x 1.5 32h and it doesn’t come with a tire, so what was confusing me. The actual ISO diameter of a traditional 26″ wheel is 559 millimeters.One thing that makes bicycle wheel sizes notoriously confusing is the use of different names for the same size.

In fact, if you look at other comments here, those folks referenced 700c wheels.

You will see “700c” and you may also see something like “700 x 38c” (or a number close to 38). Well, there are a number of reasons for this.

The smaller the wheel, the more it will be affected by even small debris and rocks, and potholes can swallow a 16″ wheel whole.The handling and feeling of riding a bike with 16″ wheels will be considerably different than the full-size adult bike you’re used to.

This, however, is where the 26er is still king and where 26er spares are going to be cheap and abundant. That’s probably the closest common size.I am having a hard time finding road or hybrid tires similar to the ones currently on my bike in 26 x 1.5″ size. You see, in those days the size of the bike tire was measured in terms of the outside diameter of the tire.