Has anyone ever tried this before in a medium duty truck or is it a waste of time and money? The old 429 is a gas pig as well I know one contractor has has a F-700 crane truck with a 16' flatdeck with 5+2 gearing the truck has no problems burning both saddle tanks in a day I think it gets around 3-4mpg. I had forgotten about the restrictive heads on those.

Thanks.Do you intend to work this truck daily or just once or twice a week for a few hours here and there?.....the tallblock [truck engines ]had longer connectin rods ....there were many outher differense between the truck vrs automotive engines though..........and most known performance upgrades dont lend well.to truck applications though.......big block cheves  arra mainstay in the performance circle......but theres a reason why  the truck applications had different compression  ratios/different coolin[smaller valves/etc/..... the tall block big blocks are very adapable and are used very commonly as drag race engines[usually as stroker engines]....all the ;;goodies;;are readily aval.....but idont thinkthat the cost [and lowred life expendicy] would warrent mucha an update on the tried and proven tall block big block [least ways inna truck application].......the ole sayin with the manufacters is .......ifn engine will live inna truck   ....itlllive anywhere.........theres always a reason why an engine that is perficly capible of produsing well over 400HP on a street vehicle  is fine ......cause its intermitten use ...its nuther thing in truck application ....as when the engine is expected ta run at full HPall the time ....[thats  why truck engines are most usually ;;;castorated;;;from outher applications........diesel or gasoline].........ive built allotta ;;;gofast''' big block drag stuff over the years .....and ive also runna few ....big block medium duty trucks over the years .....and there performance can be pretty impressiveLike everyone else said, you cant build one like a conventional hot rod engine and have it last, but that doesnt mean you cant build one to haul better than stock,lol.The easiest way to get power, fuel mileage, and long life would be a diesel swap.But, since the truck already has a gasser, upgrading to a better gasser that will just drop in would be a cheaper short term solution.If you want to check the numbers on that engine you found to make sure its a 427 and not a 366 go here  If you want to stay with a gasser, and that tall deck needs a rebuild anyway, this would be youre biggest bang for the buck. Introduced as a variant of the medium-duty C/K truck line, three generations were produced. Piston speed and travel distance being lower will mean it should last longer and be more durable. I wouldn't expect earth shattering improvements. I would set the initial up a few degrees and then see if the popping is still there if it is I would be looking at valve train problems. A friend is selling it to me pretty cheap imo(500.00), but i have concerns cause i know there has to be alot of modifications done to perform the way it … There were a few tall deck 454's built some years. A modern electronic ignition will help. Headers, if you do it you want some pretty heavy guage metal and headers configured to add torque. Many MACK Truck Engines are added daily. Big Block Chevys used lots of different heads. A matched package that is tuned properly will see a noticeable improvement and you might save some gas while you are at it. JavaScript is disabled. We picked up a 427 Tall Deck the other day for $250.00 everything except flywheel and harmonic balancer. Only amde in the 366 and 427 cid, no 396, 402, or 454. A F-Superduty is what a F-350 should be like something that will carry 8000lbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gifI was under the impression that the 427 used in commercial trucks was different, I think in bore and stroke among other things, than the "other" 427 used in whatever it was used in. if it is a truck tall deck 427 then you can take and install a 4.25 stroke bbc crank and stock 454 pistons then run a 6.385 rod i think . I do have a '89 GMC 7500 with a 427, and I have been around a truck 427 that had a cam change, intake, distributor and a 750 Holley. Although the stock cast irom intake weighs about 90 lbs and an aluminum one only about 20.This will be a work/hobby truck. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.I was wondering why I see medium duty Ford trucks with gas motors using the 429 (7.0L) vs Ford using their 460 (7.5L)?

Chevy C60 tandems were powered by 366 V8 gasoline or DH-478 diesel engines. hopefully someone will correct me if needed. I have a '69 Chevy tandem dump with a 427. This doesn't sound like much but it does make a difference.2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears! torque and not much else. Nowadays instead of hauling them I operate them, pays better. The 427 truck engines don't tolerate a lot of initial timing but it should be in the 4°-8° range. I am pretty sure that a properly updated and modified carb from a good carb shop will help. In 1968, a new 427 cubic inch V8 engine and 23,000 lbs rear axle options for … They are not designed to rev very high but to have lots of torque at very low rpms.If a guy really wanted to maximize HP and TQ while still squeezing out the most MPG possible, this would do it easy.Wouldnt be cheap though.