Robert Shaw's onscreen presence is unmatched. Godey's novel was published in February 1973 by Putnam, but Palomar Productions had secured the film rights, and Dell had bought the paperback rights months earlier in September 1972. or is it? Fantastic film.

You will be about to witness a ruthlessness that is hard to accept, yet. Please try againSorry, we failed to record your vote. Blue orders Garber to restore power to the subway line, set the signals to green all the way to The hijackers collect their disguises and weapons for disposal, but Grey refuses to surrender his gun, resulting in a stand-off with Blue, who shoots him dead. Good to see it uncut, as the last time I had seen it on TV was afternoon showing where thje violence had been cut out, making it quite strange. like it should be :) The soundtrack is excellent - lots of snazzy brass (in 12-tone serialism, no less). Please try againSorry, we failed to record your vote. Directed by Joseph Sargent in 1974, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three starred Walter Matthau as the everyman subway controller whose average day … I saw one bug mug a guy. Four seemingly-unrelated men board subway train Pelham 1:23 at successive stations. The film received critical acclaim and holds a rating of 100 percent on Communicating over the radio with Zachary Garber, a Conversations between the hijackers reveal that Blue was a mercenary in Africa; Green was a motorman caught in a drug bust; and Blue does not trust Grey, who was ousted from the mafia for being too violent. I once had this this on VHS, and bought this DVD version as a keeper I could watch over and over again. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. They said to show graffiti would be to glorify it. In New York, armed men hijack a subway car and demand a ransom for the passengers. In the Taking of Pelham 123, Denzel Washington stars as New York City subway dispatcher, Walter Garber, whose ordinary day is thrown into chaos by an audacious crime: the hijacking of a subway train.John Travolta stars as Ryder, the criminal mastermind who, as leader of a highly-armed gang of four, threatens to execute the trains passengers unless a large ransome is paid within one hour. Please try againSorry, we failed to record your vote. Pelham 1-2-3 isn't so much hijacked as "taken", much in fact as you would take candy from a baby, and only possible because no one saw it coming. They all settled in the New York subway tunnels. Armed men hijack a New York City subway train, holding the passengers hostage in return for a ransom, and turning an ordinary day's work for dispatcher Walter Garber into a face-off with the mastermind behind the crime. "According to a notation on IMDb, the crew wore surgical masks during the tunnel scenes.Matthau, who had one scene in the tunnel, said, "There are bacteria down there that haven't been discovered yet.

What more could you ask for with this excellent thriller and some of the finest actors to grace the screen. I think we got out just in time. But then that was the whole point. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) ( 498 ) IMDb 7.7 1h 44min 1974 R Walter Matthau (Grumpy Old Men) stars as a New York transit cop who must keep gunmen who've hijacked a subway car from killing hostages if their $1,000,000 ransom demand is not met within an hour. I love this film. Just then, Grey shoots and kills a supervisor from The ransom is transported uptown in a speeding police car that crashes well before it reaches 28th Street. Directed by Joseph Sargent in 1974, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three starred Walter Matthau as the everyman subway controller whose average day … Fairly basic DVD. Mr. Blue, Mr. Green, Mr. Grey and Mr. Brown are heavily armed and Please try againSorry, we failed to record your vote.

Please try againSorry, we failed to record your vote. The perfect counterpoint to Shaw and everyone else. The Taking of Pelham 123 gradually accelerates its tension before applying the emergency brakes. When it enters the South Ferry loop, its speed triggers the automatic safeties. I only wish they had put a soundtrack out for this film. The actors and performances are top notch, the dialogue frequently hilariously dry and deadpan funny despite the tension of the situations.

Please try againSorry, we failed to record your vote. The bustling heart of American bureaucracy, capitalism and greed. All contents are provided by non-affiliated third parties. The Taking of Pelham 123 is a standout 1970s thriller for several reasons: It was well acted, had a taut and funny script, and it was welL directed with a music score that was enjoyable in its own right like so many of the better pictures made in that era. He turned white as a sheet.

"New Yorkers are going to hoot when they see our spotless subway cars", Sargent said. The late great Robert Shaw who is now gone from some 40yrs and Walter Matthau and of course Martin Balsam. the lengths to which a man will go to escape justice is without end. The Taking of Pelham 123.

Cleverly directed and edited, this is one of the best thrillers I've watched. After reading several comments on customers having difficulties with this BD disc i had some misgivings about purchasing this BluRay. There is no commentary section, no extras, and no “making of” feature. The hostages a bit shrill - the film gives us nothing personal about them.