Our canoe has also fallen from the top of the SUV onto the road while we were loosening the straps to remove it from the rack. We bought the Old Town Saranac 146 XT canoe several years ago as an inexpensive, beginners canoe. This canoe is very stable when not overloaded. The larger rectangular compartment, which is a little larger than a drink six-pack, has a flip lid and the second smaller cylindrical compartment has a more secure twist lid (may be watertight, but not certain). Otherwise, the Saranac 146 is a great canoe, and regardless of on-sale price, there's no doubt in my mind that my money has been very well spent. The canoe is well made, lite weight, and stable in the water. Very stable and it handles well.

My son and I took it camping this summer and it performed very well. Found a good launch point and started upstream.

I would recommend this canoe. It's slow to move but super stable which makes it perfect for fishing. We decided early on that in order to get the most out of it and truly enjoy ourselves, we wouldn't be too overly concerned about scratches, scrapes, etc. I read some reviews on here and the Saranac caught me eye. The Old Town Guide open canoes feature among the most stable canoes on the market thanks to their chined hull design. Way easier to clean up than the Mad River and slicker in the water.

It's a chore for 1 person to load but easy for 2. My wife and I love it and we are both beginners. In my opinion, the storage spaces on the front and back seat aren't very useful and tend to just collect water should you get splashed. The front and back seats have small built in storage places which prevent your from paddling in a kneeling position. I have a 2012 Old Town Guide 147 i purchased to teach my young children about paddling and the wonders of human propulsion. There are three molded cup holders, molded bow and stern paddle holders, and a middle seat/storage/cooler console. The seat backs (something the old wood/canvas model never had!) There are 2 storage compartments in the middle console (which can also serve as a foot rest/stabilizer for the paddler in the stern seat). Submitted by: Submitted by: I purchased the Old Town Saranac 146 this spring. Submitted by: I used this canoe with my son on a small lake in South Dakota.
Oh, and the seats... never had a canoe with padded seats and a backrest before, I am spoiled now. Got to use this canoe on a family vacation recently and enjoyed it very much. If you plan on more "intense" canoeing including portaging over distances, you may want to consider the lighter, though more expensive, alternatives.

We use ours in the inter-coastal waterways and the bays in and around Tampa Bay. I would recommend this canoe to anyone getting started into paddling, as it is durable, very comfortable, and paddles reasonably well. We went on a two day 20 mile fishing trip down a rocky swift river and my back did not hurt at all. The most noticeable con is the form of the canoe.

I've built a mount and use a trolling motor for saltwater fishing and it's holding up very well. I gave a 9 out of 10 because of my dislike for the center seat. This is my first ever canoe purchase (04/01/15) and got it from Dick's on sale for $499. It is setup with rod holders and storage bins for fishing (which my son likes) or it can simply be used for recreational canoeing. Just doesn't get any better. Easy to handle and fits well on top of my car. I did have an issue with a seat part breaking but the customer service was great and I had the parts in 4 Days. The Saranac has rod holders, cup holders, very comfortable seats and it handles well in the water too. The Blade constructed from 7ply laminated cherry, basswood & walnut with urethane tip. They were both jealous of our backrests and easy paddling nature (double end kayak) with just me in the back working and my wife in the front seat and kid & cooler in the middle. I rated these canoes a 10, however there is one thing I don't like about them. We have never been happier. All I found when we pulled out were minor scratches. Well I gave the Saranac 146 to my son, holding it for him in North Alabama for the time being, he is working in LA. Now this 48yr old is feeling like a kid again in the lakes, rivers and bayous of southeast Texas. Between the two canoes the Saranac is much more stable, and has more storage, and seating than the Mad River.
We did our normal thing and hit the Flint River. It was pretty comfortable with the molded seats, backrest and cup holders. $499 at Dick's. Very comfortable and stable with good tracking. As beginner canoe enthusiasts, we are very happy with our decision to purchase the Old Town Saranac 146 canoe. I owned a wood/canvas 17 foot Old Town canoe in my "youth" and spent many enjoyable hours in it. Submitted by: Despite it's weight; 79lbs, this canoe is highly manageable loading and unloading with one person. The kit consists of eyelets, rivets & shock cord. This boat also has nearly everything you need built in. Submitted by: Recently, I had two adults, 2 kids and gear in the canoe on a fishing trip although I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis. This is a great canoe. Love this canoe and would recommend it to anyone. It was a replacement for a 17ft Coleman we had been using for nearly 30 years. Only a couple of minor things that I would improve upon. I strongly recommend this canoe to anyone in the market for one! We have used the Saranac for several months now and love it. Otherwise, look for something with better stability and lines. Continue to be impressed with this canoe, in comparison to the Mad River Adventure 16, I owned for 6 years prior. Submitted by: We can fit my wife and I, the dog, and an ice chest with drinks. The best part is the seats. The high freeboard made it comfortable in rough water and I stayed dry. We highly recommend this canoe.