Most modern factory loads still fall shy of the 2150 fps mark, but to be honest, so do many of the So, which makes the better choice for a prospective big-game hunter? I made the mistake of using Hornady DGX bullets...once. In 1959, in Mozambique, a California hunter named Jacques P. Lott—known to his friends as Jack—had a terrible run in with a rogue Cape buffalo. .458 Lott is probably not needed for lion, but is dang comforting for elephant or buffalo. For many years, the British company Kynoch was the only producer of .416 Rigby ammunition. 416 Rigby may not shoot with the same accuracy as he does with he´s old, used for many years .45-70.

Simply put, the Lott gives the shooter more options than does the .458 Win. I have no problem shooting Hornady factory 300 gr loads through it, despite the fact that it is a shorter barrel and weighs less than 7 lbs without a scope. Availability of ammo is not a factor in this comparison as most dangerous game cartridges are not ones you will find stocked in most any gun store either.I’ve a nice Howa Stainless 1500 chambered in 375 Ruger. Hunting dangerous game requires a rifle cartridge larger than most of us use regularly, one with the ability to save your bacon and to end a confrontation quickly and without anyone getting hurt. When I lived in Alaska, a 270 gr. He survived to tell the tale, but brooded on the fact that he needed to build a better mouse trap. I have an interest in either a Sako Brown Bear 450 Rigby, or a Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott. A .416 Rigby flanked by a .375 H&H and a .458 Lott.416 Rigby Loads. Thank you! I’m going to Alaska in Sept. for bear, and am taking both my .416 Ruger (scoped) and my G&H custom BA in .35 Whelen..Get 12 Issues a year of the country's best firearms writing.Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com.Get the 74th edition of the World's Greatest Gun Book. Adding at least 5% to the performance of the 375 H&H, which most professional African hunters consider to be the absolute minimum for dangerous game, is a significant enough enhancement to warrant replacing the venerable old 375 H&H on the list; likewise the 416 Ruger ought to replace the 416 Rem Mag and 416 Rigby for similar reasons. Personally, the 458 Lott seem interesting--if I did not already have an excelent .458 Win Mag.

Once upon a time, the firm of John Rigby & Co. developed a 3 ¼″ cartridge, designed to launch a 480-grain bullet of .458″ diameter to a muzzle velocity of 2150 fps, and the hunting community was happy. But if the hunter that is planning to go to Africa have his favorite rifle chambered in .45-70, he might consider using that rather than go out buying a new .416 Rigby, .458 Lott.

The best thing you can do to increase your hunting success is to understand the anatomy of your quarry and practice with your rifle until you can put your first shot exactly where it should go.I have a couple of problems with this article. In addition if I remember correctly the NRA had an independent test run on the velocities of the 458 Win in 1956 which verified the original 2150fps ballistics with 510 gr bullets with the original 25″ bbl.Lots of classic rounds but something is missing. The .450 Nitro Express was deemed to be the perfect cartridge for the dangerous game of Africa and India. When the game animal has enough weight, strength and tenacity to send your mortal remains home in a mayonnaise jar, you’ll need a cartridge that you can handle effectively yet will get the job done. The additional capacity of the Lott makes using these bullets, which give phenomenal penetration, much easier.

I've had several 458 Win Mags over the years, and managed to sell them all for some reason or another.

Absolutely, Swift A-Frame. He shot the beast with the then three-year-old .458 Winchester Magnum, and found himself airborne, bruised and bleeding as a result of being tossed by Black Death. The first was to use a The .458 Winchester Magnum plodded on, and the ship seems to be righted. Of course, I am 6’5″ and weigh 280 lbs, but my 5’8″ 160 son in law can shoot a box of those rounds in that gun just as well with no ill effects. If you want to have a good medium bore, go to Africa, shoot a couple of animals and put the run in the rack get a 416 Rigby as the additional cost of ammo is not significant and you might shoot a 100 rounds from sight in to end of hunt. . With hindsight, I firmly believe that Though it’s a relative newcomer on the scene, approaching its 30E-mail your comments/questions about this site to: You can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs I won't use anything else. Stopping power with it’s usually intended meaning is a myth.Good article but maybe a little to focused on older classic rounds. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time When handloading for the .458 Lott, I can easily obtain velocities in the 2200 to 2250 fps range—a bit below factory loads, yet completely effective in the field. As for terminal performance: what are you hunting? Firstly, it avoids the overly-compressed powder charges that come with the .458 Winchester; though it may seem silly, the 0.30″ increase in case length gives just the proper amount of case capacity to avoid powder issues. Caribou Media Group earns a commission from qualifying purchases. If I were to choose a bolt-action .45-caliber dangerous game rifle, it would undoubtedly be a .458 Lott. If .416 Rigby is "too much" for lion, it's not by a margin worth measuring. The 375 and 416 Ruger outperform their H&H based counterparts, and do so in standard action sizes, which makes them much more useful/wieldable for the average big/dangerous game hunter. With all due respect to the classics, I think there are better cartridges out there now that are more suitable and will outperform most of those listed.