To find out your sequence number, you can subtract 100,000 from it. In 1964, the cowl tag can be found on top of the firewall on the passenger’s side.

It varied by year. The Wilmington, DE assembly plant listed the interior paint code after it 1964-1968. Just those codes without knowing where on the tag they are located could have different meaning. Starting in 1965, it was moved to the front of the firewall on the driver’s side by the brake booster. Cowl Tag Decoding – STYLE → Cowl Tag Decoding – 1958 through 1964 Chevrolet. Wagons got vinyl interiors. Starting in 65, it changed to 13 characters. I had seen the info about the decoding service somewhere else as well and will follow up with them. If you have seen any not on this list or can help confirm any, please contact us.M11 – 3spd manual transmission on the column (if optional transmission not ordered)Your source for Impala, Caprice, Belair and Biscayne information.Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and Cowl Tag Decoding It was a three digit number up to 1965 when it became a letter. The 812 black vinyl interior was available in both sedans and wagons.Note for 1968: The 802 black vinyl interior was available in both Biscayne sedans and wagons. It should be spot welded to the hinge pillar. Discussion Starter • #5 • Jun 21, 2009. The only change was that the body style was now in front followed by the model year.The year is identified by the last numeral in that year so 4=1964, 7=1967, 0=1970, etc.The body style number consists of three parts. I understand what you are saying about the non-original fasteners making the tag suspect. Wagons got vinyl interiors.Note for 1966: Biscayne and Belair sedan interiors were cloth except for the 865 fawn fleet-type vinyl.

The STYLE part of the cowl tag tells us the year and body style of the car. All body style codes in 1964 were four digits, which were changed to five for the 1965 model year. Locate the VIN tag on the left door jamb. Those tags will be covered in a future update.The body build date tells the month and week the body was produced. The general format of the cowl tag remained the same from 1964-1970 and will be explained below. Thanks, Mike! In addition, the body style number also appears on the cowl tag, typically in a V8 format.Here is a chart of VIN number assembly plant codes.

If you don't know where to find your VIN tag, click HERE. Wagons got vinyl interiors.

The following 4 digits tell us what series and body style it is. In the example above, “1837” means it’s an Impala Sport Coupe with a … The tag on the cowl is called the Body Trim tag and will have model, assembly plant, paint and trim and some option info that Fisher Body built. VIN Tag Decoding. Note: This cowl, or trim tag style only … It will not include all options, some of which were later installed by Chevrolet. Posted on April 15, 2011 by Dave Stromberger April 20, 2011. Number 2 would be 100002, etc. One exception is the cowl tags of cars built at Oshawa, Ontario (until 1967) and those assembled overseas. The dash is gray--which seems to me could be consistant with the indicated gray vinyl interior-- but I think I've seen somewhere that most/all were that color?A forum community dedicated to Chevy El Camino owners and enthusiasts. That code can also be found on the protectoplate. Select your trim code and click submit 800 The basic format remained the same though. For the month: 01 = January, 05 = May, 09 = September and 12 = December, etc.

Some plants put a sequence number next to the date code or above the body number.